Tuesday, December 4, 2007

CLASSIC DIAZ : Wearing Slayer t-shirts = I listen to Slayer (orig. 9.23.04)

EDITORS NOTE : This is the first in a series of old blog reposts from my MySpace blog. I'm only posting what I find funny. Not what YOU like. This is about me, not you.

Did I miss the class or memo that was handed out where it said it was okay for idiots to ironically wear metal t-shirts? If you're wearing a Motley Crue t-shirt and they come on the jukebox you had damn well better know every word to that song. If you spend money on that shirt and it wasn't at a Motley Crue show chances are you are a douchebag. The same goes for the following bands : Iron Maiden, Slayer, Guns and Fucking Roses, Metallica, Dio, AC/DC, Megadeth, and to a much lesser extent Def Leppard. Fuck, even Cinderella, Poison and Skid Row deserve better. I mean, in reality NO ONE listened to that crap close enough to warrant (no pun intended) a clothing purchase of said band. So, that makes you a fucking double poseur.

You know, I don't wear the t-shirts of bands that came 15 years before I was into their music, or even into any music in general. If I did, I'd wear Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin shirts and we all know that no one looks cool in a Pink Floyd t-shirt. I don't care who you are. Guess what? If you're 20 years old right now and you're wearing a vintage Guns and Roses T shirt from the 1988 tour ... YOU WEREN'T THERE, you were 4 years old. You probably paid 10x the amount that it's worth and you don't even like them. You just think it looks cool.

Ironic metal t-shirts are not only slowly but surely becoming the new trucker hat, but are also replacing "that guy/girl"* as the NEW "that guy/girl"*. I'd much rather see a guy/girl wearing a Radiohead T-shirt at a Radiohead show. At least I know that person actually listens to Radiohead. It's about as fashionable as pointy shoes. If you rock all three styles together (trucker hat, ironic metal T, and pointy shoes) or any combination of the two you are headed for social and fashion disaster. HEED MY WARNING! Stick to your Avenged Sevenfold t-shirts! Your kids will thank you for it when THEY become fashion disasters in the future!


* - definition : 'that guy/girl' (n.) someone who wears the shirt of the band they are going to see in concert. a total rock and roll faux-pas made slightly more acceptable in current times by abuse and misuse of rock and roll irony on t-shirts and hats.

No comments: