Friday, January 4, 2008

Not funny today. Just observant.

I may have to stop reading the celebrity gossip blogs as of today. I always knew they were in bad taste, but there's something special about watching a trainwreck as it happens, especially when it has nothing to do with you. For some reason I woke up on the more sensitive side of the bed today and checked in with my least favorite blogger, Mario Lavandeira AKA Perez Hilton. In a way Perez has made his career off of trainwrecks, because at base that's what brainless, mindless Americans want to see. They want to see failure. They want to see the people they admire, or at least paid money to entertain them, fall. I rarely watch the videos on the site, but today I decided to check out one specific video for no real reason other than curiosity.

In this video you can watch as a celebrity is being brought from her home via ambulance to a hospital in Los Angeles. The amount of camera flashing going on is sickening. It's enough to light up a nighttime baseball game. The people blocking the ambulance so they can get their "money shot" are going to be the cause of death for this person. You can hear them panting as they run up and down the street, around the hospital, some trying to slip by hospital security and police, desperately trying to be the person who gets the shot of the celebrity in the ambulance. The father of the celebrity's children shows up and is greeted by the photographers with "Loser!" in an attempt to rile some sort of reaction out of him.

I'm not an idiot. I know this goes on in Hollywood. I have friends who deal with this ...obviously no to this level, but still. It's just kind of sick that our culture relies on the failure of the famous so much that there has spawned an entire profession out of breaking your back to document it. I used to think that there were some pretty low jobs out there, but being a paparazzi is officially the lowest.

I'm pretty sure I don't need to mention who this is about. Here's the video to see it all go down. All for a measly half-second of footage of this person coming out of an ambulance...


Hope you're happy America! This is what you wanted so desperately to see.

No comments: